Somatics for Athletics: Restorative Movement for Improved Performance
This two-day introductory course is for athletes, fitness instructors, and anyone with a desire to improve their ability and performance through the principles and practices of Clinical Somatics. No prior experience or training is required to participate in this course.
This course is a comprehensive introduction to the core principles of Clinical Somatics. You will learn how Sensory Motor Amnesia (SMA) is keeping you from reaching your maximum potential. You will learn how to prevent and recover from injuries that would otherwise keep you out of the game and to recover more rapidly from your workout or event. You will learn how to apply Somatic Exercises to your daily routine, helping to restore muscle functionality, movement, and strength. We will explore the technique of pandiculation for a better understanding of how this skill reduces muscle tension, restores muscle length, and improves sensory motor function. Participants will receive a free digital download of our Pain Relief Through Movement audio CD and all appropriate learning materials.
What you will learn
- Basic somatic philosophy, a brief history of Somatic Education, and basic neurophysiology as it applies to Clinical Somatics
- What sets this method apart from other methods of pain-relief and movement education
- What “Sensory Motor Amnesia” is, how it occurs in the brain and central nervous system, and why it is the cause of most chronic muscular pain and movement limitation
- How pandiculation differs from stretching (and how it restores voluntary sensory and motor control of muscles)
- How to apply the principles and concepts of Clinical Somatics to your training – and your life
- A basic routine of Somatic Exercises that, when done regularly, will result in renewed muscle control and awareness
How you will benefit
You will leave the course with a daily regimen of movements that, when practiced regularly, will relieve chronic pain and maintain freedom of movement for the long-term, regardless of what muscular stresses or injuries you may incur. The result is more fluid, efficient movement, improved breathing, rapid reduction of functional muscle pain, greater performance, and accelerated recovery from training and injury. You will also have a sound introduction of the basic principles and science behind the method of Clinical Somatics.
Bring paper and pen, water, and exercise mat. Wear loose, comfortable clothing that does not restrict movement, as this is a movement-based course.
Prices vary upon location ($350-450)
You may request a full refund minus a 5% cancellation fee if canceling more than 4 weeks prior to training start date. No refund will be available if canceling less than 4 weeks prior to training start date. We thank you for your understanding.
Essential Somatics® reserves the right to cancel any event or change event dates if necessary. In the unlikely situation that this may occur, a full refund of all monies paid will be returned to the client. For this reason, we highly recommend purchasing travel cancellation insurance to protect your trip investment in the event of date changes, illness, emergency, weather conditions, or any unforeseen circumstances.